Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Lino Cuts

Just over a week ago I took a course on making lino cuts. But we weren't using the nice soft "cuts like butter" lino type material - rather the thin inexpensive type of lino that is used for flooring.
I cut the flower stamp at the course, and the bird stamp last night. Tonight I found the tubes of ink that I have had for close to 20 years (and haven't used) and made some prints.

I like printing on a variety of papers - pages out of old books that have browned with age is one of my favourites.
The women instructing the course was great, and does beautiful work. She talked about striving to get perfect lines on each print. And if you are making prints to be framed and hung on the wall, I can see why you would do that. - But that is not really what I was looking for. I like the shabby look where some paint sticks and some doesn't.

I am not sure what I am going to do with the pile of prints I made tonight.... but I am sure I will come up with something!

6 comments:

  1. Wow - extraordinary work. It must be so much fun to make your own stamps. I´m amazed!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your style, Kim, it seems to shine out from every medium you choose.
    I agree that the shabby extras add vibrancy and it's a look that is worth cultivating. Otherwise you might as well paste die cuts instead!

    With printmaking there always seems to be that quality that makes even the crudest prints take on a more finished look compared to a drawing.
    (I don't mean to say that your prints are crude however!)

    It's quite the satisfying medium, one of these days I ought to go back to it.
    xoxo Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the rougher look. Who wants their work to look machine made? Sloppy is one thing and artistically leaving some extra marks is quite another. I'm also glad to know someone else buys supplies that don't get used for years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the direction you took! Can't wait to see what you will do with them, I can hear the wheels turning in your head!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all of your wonderful comments! It makes me happy to create, and more happiness comes with your wonderful comments. I am smiling!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cards come to mind. Even if the line is too big you could put 1/2 the flower on.

    ReplyDelete