Tuesday, August 24, 2010

More Jewelry Play

I am still enjoying - practicing and learning from the online jewelry course I am taking. The piece above was very tricky to make. It took me some time to figure out how to join all the pieces to make it eventually hold together in what I pictured in my mind's eye.

The reason it is tricky is because I had to heat the metal six times, and every time I heated the metal, the component I had soldered into place on the previous heating of course became loose. The funniest part was adding the top flat metal piece, as when I heated the piece the air and flux inside the middle section expanded, and little puffs of air kept lifting the lid to escape. In the end I was pleased with the piece - I wanted it rustic and not perfectly round shaped - and that is how it turned out.

This piece was much easier - but still fun! I have had to put away the solder play for a few days now, due to busy life happenings, but I hope to get it out to play again soon!
For now the pieces are hanging on tarnished silver chains - but that will probably change.....



No comments:

Post a Comment